In 1913 there were three Chiropractic schools in Davenport, Iowa: The Palmer School of Chiropractic, Universal College of Chiropractic and the Davenport College of Chiropractic. The UCC was located at 6th and Brady and DCC stood on the site of the present day Masonic Temple. On July 4th, of that year, a group of Chiropractic students representing those schools held an Independence Day picnic at Credit Island then called Suburban Island. Within this large group, a smaller group of friends sat discussing the subject of a Chiropractic Greek letter Fraternity. They agreed that all educational institutions of higher learning had one or more Greek letter fraternities and they decided then to take the necessary steps at once to form a Chiropractic Greek letter Fraternity.
So Alpha Chapter, the parent chapter of Delta Sigma Chi Professional Chiropractic Fraternity was born. At the July 18, 1913 meeting a permanent organization came into being although it was agreed that the temporary officers would continue until completion of the charter membership. It was decided to limit the charter membership to twelve men. At a later meeting in August 1913, the Charter was once more opened and membership extended to twenty members. With this number the charter was closed permanently. This quota was filled from student bodies of the three Chiropractic schools in Davenport.